Sunday, November 30, 2008

Jake's first flight

It was a normal Tuesday afternoon. A little cold, but sunny with a few wispy clouds. We had just gotten out for the Thanksgiving holiday and I was busy preparing for the weekend ahead. My dad offered to pick up Jake from school so they could go to their flight class early. OK, I didn't think much about it. Until, I got the call. "Hey Julie, go watch above your house, Jake is about to fly a plane over it!" Oh the things that went through my head. He's only 10! I didn't sign anything stating he could go in a plane much less fly one! Where's my camera? Opa is in so much trouble! Then I heard it, the sound of a small plane getting nearer. I ran outside and there it was. My baby flying right above me! He went by a few times then flew over to Oma & Opa's, Brad & Carla's, and Trey at work. I waited outside for him to come by again and he did. I stood there in the driveway waving and taking pictures. Hope the neighbors don't think I am weird! I was a little upset at first, I mean this was my baby flying an airplane and I had no prior knowledge of it! However, I know how much this meant to him and I know that this is a memory that he will have forever. By the time I got to talk to him, I was just so excited to hear about it and that he was on the ground again. He was the pilot and the instructor helped when necessary. Jake took off and landed twice. Once from the Amarillo airport and then from Tradewinds. Uncle Brad and Opa rode in the back seat. What an experience! Thank you Opa, but next time ask for permission!!!!

1 comment:

Ladd Family said...

Hi Julie! I am so glad that you guys blog too! What a great way to keep up with our families! We miss you guys too! Talk to you soon! Love, Heather